- 1 How high should balcony table be?
- 2 How do I protect my balcony furniture from rain?
- 3 What is a good size patio for entertaining?
- 4 What is the difference between a balcony and a verandah?
- 5 What is the best thing for a balcony floor?
How high should balcony table be?
Outdoor Tables – A counter-height table is taller than a standard dining table and shorter than a bar table. Such patio tables range between 34″ and 36″ high. They share the same dimensions as indoor furniture. According to the American National Standards Institute and Kitchen Manufacturers of America, the average height is 36″.
What is balcony furniture called?
Product Description – Garden furniture, also called patio furniture or outdoor furniture, is a type of furniture specifically designed for outdoor use. It is typically made of weather-resistant materials such as aluminium which is rust-proof.
What type of patio furniture is the most weather-resistant?
Metal furniture — such as the high-grade cast aluminium furniture sold at Lazy Susan — is the most weather-resistant type of patio furniture. It’s durable and long-lasting, and it complements your patio with beautiful aesthetics while standing up to the elements.
How do I protect my balcony furniture from rain?
• Cover all the way: – A furniture cover might seem like the safest solution, and it is! These covers are a good accessory for patio areas because they not only keep your furniture waterproof but also protect them from UV rays and dust on warm and windy days.
When you go to buy a furniture cover, look for one that is a comfortable fit for the chairs and couches that you have placed outside. They shouldn’t be too snug, but a very loose one might also be a problem. It is important to have a comfortable fit also because air must pass under it to keep your furniture mold-free, and fresh.
The material of the covers can be plastic or polyester. This opaque cover can keep the furniture free from the sun as well as rain or dew.
What furniture is best for humid weather?
Temperature & Weather Factors – When selecting patio outdoor furniture for your climate, temperature and weather conditions should be taken into account. Low temperatures during the winter will often require more protective materials such as metal or plastic, whereas furniture made of wood and resin wicker may be more suitable in warmer areas.
- In cold climates, frost-proof furniture should be chosen if possible to avoid damage from moisture.
- For example, aluminum frames are great choices because they are lightweight, durable and resistant to extreme temperatures.
- Sunlight can also have an effect on furnishing materials over time.
- Plastic furniture usually fades with continued exposure to direct sunlight, while fabrics that are treated with UV protection are better suited in climates with intense sunshine.
And if you live in an area with rain and sun, choose mold-resistant materials that can withstand rain and sun. Resin wicker is a popular choice because it offers good protection against both elements, as well as durability against harsh environments. You must consider wind when selecting outdoor furniture as well.
- Windy climates require extra attention when choosing pieces so that they don’t blow away easily.
- Look for items with heavier weight or stylish stands that act as anchors to help keep chairs and tables in place.
- Now that you understand the temperature and weather factors to consider when choosing patio furniture for your climate, the next section discusses protecting your pieces from the sun & rain.
In temperate climates, materials such as teak, cypress, cedar and eucalyptus are good choices as they are more resistant to rot, decay and insects. In humid climates, resin wicker or synthetic outdoor fabrics usually perform better than natural fibers when exposed to moisture.
What is a good size patio for entertaining?
Medium patios for outdoor dining – Customers who plan on entertaining a bit more may want to try for a medium-sized patio that allows them the option of adding in a dining table and chairs. This space should be able to fit four to six people comfortably, and the approximate size should be 10 to 16 feet long and wide.
What is the difference between a balcony and a patio?
The benefits of patios vs. balconies – Patios and balconies are distinct structures that are easy to tell apart. Patios are usually made of stone or brick and are installed at ground level. Balconies are elevated structures that are attached to a building on the second story or higher. Patios can be adjacent to a home or a totally separate area in the yard, and they can vary in size, shape, and purpose.
Some homeowners may choose to build an elevated patio or install a roofing cover, but it’s not necessary or incredibly common. Patios and decks are sometimes placed next to each other for a smooth transition to the backyard or pool. Balconies are part of the building’s structure, rather than independent features like patios.
They’ll always feature a railing since they’re elevated, and often include a roof or adjacent walls. Overall, balconies are a better bet for a space-saving, private outdoor space or a dedicated purpose like a reading nook. Patios are extremely versatile and great for activities like dinner parties and entertaining.
|• Typically ground-level structures • Made of stone, brick, or gravel • Often adjacent to a home, but not attached to any structure
|• Elevated structure installed on the second story or higher • Feature a railing and often a roof • Attached to a building’s structure
There are clear differences between a balcony vs. deck structurally, though each of these property features are designed to invite homeowners out into the sunshine. Balconies are wonderful private spaces where you can take a break and relax, while decks are far easier to install and are ideal for entertaining.
What is a deck vs balcony?
Difference Between Balcony and Deck – There are many similarities between balconies and decks, but there are also a few notable differences. Both are outdoor areas that can be attached to a structure and both are also typically made of wood or composite materials.
- The main difference between the two is that a balcony is enclosed, while a deck is not.
- A balcony typically has railings and a roof, while a deck does not.
- This means that a balcony can be used year-round, even in bad weather, while a deck cannot.
- Another difference is that balconies are typically much smaller than decks.
The former might have enough space for a few chairs and a small table, while the latter can often accommodate a large table with several chairs.
What is the difference between a balcony and a verandah?
A verandah is an open-air porch or gallery, usually with a roof, connecting the exit of a house with its entrance. A balcony is an external extension of a building enclosed by railings, a short wall, or a balustrade. Always located on the house’s ground floor.
What you should not put on your balcony?
Balcony Do’s and Don’ts Being quarantined with nice weather, many of Villa’s residents can be seen preparing their balconies with new furniture and decorations. While we love to see our residents relaxing outside, we do want to remind everyone what we do and don’t permit:
DO – Please feel free to have plants on your balcony. We just ask that you have some sort of protection under them to prevent dirt and water staining your balcony or leaking to any other balcony. Residents are responsible for any water or material falling from the balcony area or damage done to the balcony. DON’T – We do not allow any signage, flags, or banners to be displayed from the balcony. DO – Hang outdoor decorative lights that correlate with the appropriate season. DON’T – Please don’t store your bicycle or motorcycles on the balconies. We have bike racks and garages available for those needing additional space. DO – Relax on your balconies with lawn or patio furniture. Please avoid having any indoor furniture outside. DON’T – Please avoid hanging clothes, storing/keeping shoes, or storing trash/recycling. We have lockers available to rent if you are needing additional space. Also don’t have any bird or animal feeders on the balconies as this can cause unwanted pest issues.
While we can’t cover every instance, please use your best judgement. When in doubt, feel free to call or email us to ask what you can and can’t have. We also have a few two bedroom apartments opening up in June that have balconies for those who are wanting more space and sunlight in their life.
How can I make my balcony look nice?
How do you make an apartment balcony look good? – Elevate the decor of your apartment balcony by outfitting it with stylish furniture that is scaled to fit the space, such as a small bistro table and a pair of chairs or a DIY banquette made from pallet wood. You can decorate your apartment balcony with plants, a small outdoor runner-style rug, string lights, or a privacy screen,
What is the best thing for a balcony floor?
Ceramic Tiles (Anti-skid) – If you are planning to floor your balcony with ceramic tiles make sure they are anti-skid variety. The non-slip version of ceramic tiles is the best option for balcony flooring. Some variants of ceramic tiles available in the market can mimic other materials like wood and stone and look fantastic.
What is the best material to cover a balcony?
Download Article Download Article Covering your balcony allows you to enjoy the outdoor air even during harsh rainstorms. There are many ways you can keep your balcony dry. Retractable awnings, light lean-to structures, and full-roof covers can shield your outdoor space from downpours.
- 1 Go with a retractable fabric awning if you want flexibility. You can extend a retractable awning whenever you want to cover your balcony from rain or sunlight and then retract it when you want an open-air balcony. Awning fabrics come in a variety of colors, so you’ll be able to find one that matches the color of your home’s exterior.
- Awnings are made of acrylic-coated synthetic fabrics and are 100 percent waterproof and mildew-proof.
- A retractable fabric awning will be great at shielding your balcony from rain and sunshine, but may not be able to withstand high winds.
- 2 Opt for a lean-to structure if you want a permanent yet affordable cover. You can find light roof structures made of either PVC sheets or fabric. If you choose to cover your balcony with a lean-to type structure, you won’t be able to cover and then uncover it on a day-by-day basis, as you can with a retractable awning.
- Select a lean-to made of PVC sheets if you’d like a cover that will allow sunlight to reach your balcony.
- Choose a fabric-covered lean-to if you’re looking for a more affordable option.
- 3 Select a full-roof cover to give your balcony an indoor feel. A full-roof cover is the most expensive option. You’ll need to pay for the materials of the cover and professional installation. A full-roof cover, however, is more durable than the other 2 options.
- A tempered-glass roof is an especially popular choice. With a tempered-glass roof, you can choose between clear glass and tinted. Tinted glass can help shield your balcony from harmful UV rays, but clear glass will preserve your balcony’s view.
- You can also find full balcony covers that you can retract and extend with a remote control.
- 1 Shield your balcony from strong rains with transparent PVC blinds. Transparent, outdoor PVC blinds will keep your balcony completely dry even during torrential rainfalls, while still allowing sunlight to pass through and brighten your outdoor space. Scratch-resistant, these blinds are perfect for areas that frequently experience strong winds.
- PVC stands for Polyvinyl chloride (or vinyl).
- Transparent PVC blinds look like sheets of plastic.
- 2 Enhance your balcony’s design with PVC imitation-wood blinds. If you’d like to shield your balcony from horizontal slats of rain but don’t like the look of transparent PVC blinds, you might want to check out PVC imitation-wood blinds. These blinds look like they’re made of natural wood but are more durable and waterproof than the real thing.
- Imitation-wood blinds shield light as well as rain, which will help keep your balcony cool but may also make it darker than you want.
- Go with imitation-bamboo blinds if you want to give your balcony a tropical look.
- 3 Protect your balcony from rain, heat, and pests with mesh fabric blinds. Balcony blinds made of fabrics (also known as rain curtains) let more light reach your balcony than imitation-wood blinds. They also allow for better ventilation than transparent PVC blinds.
- Fabric blinds will also help keep your balcony free of mosquitos and other pests.
- Fabric blinds come in a variety of colors so you can choose one that complements the color of your home’s exterior.
- 4 Enclose your balcony with retractable glass panels. Installing retractable glass panels (also known as glass curtains) will allow you to enjoy your balcony space in all types of weather. You can slide the panels against the wall when the weather is nice for fresh air or close them on rainy and blustery days to keep yourself dry and warm.
- You’ll want to have a professional contractor install these glass panels, especially if your balcony is high up.
Ask a Question 200 characters left Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Submit Advertisement Thanks for submitting a tip for review! Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 119,075 times.
What kind of furniture is best for deck?
What furniture and materials are best for outdoor use? – Outdoor furniture is often made of aluminum, PVC, and plastic since these materials are lightweight and weather-resistant. They’re also highly affordable and accessible, available at your local hardware, furniture, and big-box stores.
Some people don’t love the look or feel of many cheap plastic furniture options, but there are plenty of high-quality items that are designed for comfort and durability. Alternatively, organic pieces made of wicker or cedar are easy to find, look great, and won’t damage your deck. Weather-resistant fabrics like polypropylene are UV-resistant and dry quickly, so you can leave them out without worrying about damaging your upholstered furniture.
Other synthetic materials like acrylic and polyester are also designed for outdoor use, so you can purchase or DIY fabric furniture for your deck. Whether you love the look of woven wicker and boho cushions or want to lean into a maximalist style with bold colors and patterns, there’s no shortage of deck furniture ideas to make your outdoor living space just as stylish and functional as your interior decor.