The Facebook lock feature allows users in India to lock their profiles from non-friends. Once you lock your Facebook profile, non-friends will not be able to zoom into, share or download your full-size profile picture and cover photo. The feature is aimed particularly at women.
Social media giant Facebook launched a new safety feature in India that will allow users, especially women, to lock their profiles from non-friends. The ability to lock the profile is especially designed for women who want more control over their Facebook experience.
Once the Facebook profile is locked, non-friends cannot zoom into, share or download the user’s full-size profile picture and cover photo as well as non-friends cannot see photos and posts on the locked account timeline (both historic and new). Complimentary Tech Event Transform talent with learning that works Capability development is critical for businesses who want to push the envelope of innovation.
Discover how business leaders are strategizing around building talent capabilities and empowering employee transformation. Know More “We are deeply aware of the concerns people in India, particularly women, have about protecting their online profile. Today, we are announcing a new feature which, in one easy step, will give people a lot more control, ensure their privacy and keep them safe and secure online,” Ankhi Das, Public Policy Director, Facebook India, said in a statement.
Open the application and go to your profile.Click on the three-dot option, next to the edit profile option.Tap on the lock profile option from the list.Now, read who all can see posts, photos and stories and click on lock your profile.
However, users can always unlock their profiles whenever they want to. SEE ALSO: How to start a fundraiser on Facebook How to download Instagram stories and photos Here’s how to check if someone has unfollowed you on Instagram
- 1 What to do if profile lock is not available?
Why is there no lock profile option in Facebook?
Download Article Download Article Have you found a Facebook profile that has a blue shield and keyhole icon? This icon means the user has activated a profile lock—a feature that restricts most of their content and activity to friends only. Locked profiles are only available in a handful of countries, so you might not be able to lock your own profile.
- 1 Locking your Facebook profile is the fastest way to convert all your content to friends-only. In just a few seconds, you can restrict the bulk of your content so it’s only visible to your friends. When you lock your profile:
- Your past and future posts, photos, and stories are all friends-only.
- Only friends can click your profile or cover photo to see the full-sized versions.
- Profile and tag review are enabled to prevent people from adding tagged content to your profile.
- Most of the About section of your profile is only visible to friends.
- 2 The ability to lock Facebook profiles is limited to certain countries. Profile locking is not available in most countries, including the United States and Canada. As of May 2022, only residents of Afghanistan, Egypt, India, Iraq, Myanmar, Morocco, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Turkey, UAE, and Ukraine can lock their profiles. Advertisement
- 3 You can still (mostly) lock your profile, even if your country isn’t supported. While you won’t get that cool blue shield on your profile, you’ll have all of the benefits and security of profile locking. It’ll just take a little more time than clicking a single button, as you’ll need to adjust many privacy settings manually. Skip to method 3 for those steps.
- 1 Open Facebook and sign in, If Facebook allows profile locking in your country, you can instantly lock down your profile using your Android, iPhone, iPad, or computer.
- 2 Go to your profile, If you’re using the mobile app, tap Profile at the bottom of the screen. If you’re using a web browser, just click your name at the top-right corner of Facebook.
- 3 Click or tap the three horizontal dots •••, You’ll see this icon in the upper-right corner of your profile.
- 4 Select Lock Profile, If this feature is available in your country, you’ll see it near the bottom of the menu. Information about locking your profile will expand.
- 5 Click or tap Lock Your Profile, It’s the blue button at the bottom of the info window. The content on your profile is now locked to everyone except for your friends.
- 1 Make your past posts friends-only. Even if you can’t lock your profile, you can still make all of your past posts and photos friends-only in a few painless steps. Here’s how:
- Mobile app: Tap the three-line menu and go to Settings & Privacy > Settings, Then, go to Posts > Limit who can see past posts, Tap Limit Past Posts, and then tap it again to confirm.
- Computer: Click the menu at the top-right and go to Settings & Privacy > Settings, Click Privacy, select Limit Past Posts, then click Limit Past Posts twice more to confirm.
- 2 Make future posts friends-only. This ensures that the new posts you create on Facebook are also only available to your friends. If you’re using a phone or tablet, you’ll also be able to make your future reels (which are just like Instagram reels ) friends-only:
- Mobile app:
- Tap the three-line menu and go to Settings & Privacy > Settings, Then, go to Posts > Who can see your future posts? and select Friends,
- To make future reels are private, tap the three-line menu and go to Settings & Privacy > Settings, Then, go to Posts > Who can see your future reels? and select Friends under “Reels default audience.”
- Computer: Click the menu at the top-right and go to Settings & Privacy > Settings, Click Privacy, click Edit next to Who can see your future posts? and choose Friends,
- Mobile app:
- 3 Hide the information on your profile. By default, information like your location and relationship status are visible to the public or friends-of-friends. If you could use Lock Profile, your whole profile would instantly convert to friends-only. But you can also make these conversions manually:
- Go to your Facebook profile on your computer, phone, or tablet.
- Click or tap About and select Contact and Basic Info,
- Click or tap the pencil icon next to each bit of information, then set the privacy to Friends or Only me,
- Click or tap Save when you’re finished.
- Unlike locking your profile, non-friends can still see your profile photo and cover photo at full size. This is one of the few differences between profile-locking and making these changes manually.
- 4 Make future stories friends-only. The stories you create on Facebook and in Messenger might be public, The only way to make future stories friends-only is to change your privacy settings the next time you share a story. After uploading or recording a photo or video for your story, tap the gear icon or the word Privacy at the bottom, then choose Friends,
- 5 Turn on Profile and Tag Review. These two features give you control over which tagged posts and photos will display on your profile. You’ll get a notification when someone tags you in a photo or post—you can then opt to show the post or photo on your profile or hide it.
- Mobile app: Tap the three-line menu and go to Settings & Privacy > Settings > Profile and Tagging, Set all options under “Viewing and Sharing” and “Tagging” to Friends, then turn both “Reviewing” options On,
- Computer: Click the menu at the top-right and go to Settings & Privacy > Settings > Privacy > Profile and tagging, Go through all options on the page and set them all to Friends, then switch the two “Reviewing” sliders to On,
- 6 Control who can add you as a friend. This feature lets you limit who can send you friend requests to only friends of current friends. Here’s how to do it:
- Mobile app: Tap the three-line menu and go to Settings & Privacy > Settings > How People Find and Contact You > Who can send you friend requests? and choose Friends of friends,
- Computer: Click the menu at the top-right and go to Settings & Privacy > Settings > Privacy, Click Edit next to Who can send you friend requests? and choose Friends of friends,
- 7 Prevent people from finding your profile. By default, Facebook makes it easy for people to find your profile by phone number and email address. People can also see your friends list even if they aren’t friends with you, which makes it possible for strangers to contact unsuspecting friends. Here’s how to lock down these features:
- Mobile app: Tap the three-line menu and go to Settings & Privacy > Settings > How people find and contact you, Tap each option in the list, then choose Friends or Only me, To prevent people from finding your profile by Googling you, set the final option to No,
- Computer: Click the menu at the top-right and go to Settings & Privacy > Settings > Privacy, In the How people find and contact you section, set all possible options to Friends or Only me, To prevent people from finding your profile by Googling you, set the final option to No,
Ask a Question 200 characters left Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Submit Advertisement
Some information on your profile will always be visible, even if your profile is locked. If you really need to keep a low profile, it’s best to deactivate your account until you’re ready to return.
Thanks for submitting a tip for review! Advertisement Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 515,040 times.
How can I lock my FB profile using VPN?
Download a VPN app and turn it on. Switch your VPN region to either the US, India, or the United Kingdom. You can use any reliable and secure VPN app that’s available on the app store. Once your VPN is turned on, go back to the profile lock steps above and repeat the entire process.
Can you lock your Facebook profile in UK?
Locking A Facebook Profile On Smartphone –
Start by opening the Facebook app, Open your profile. You can access your profile on the home page by tapping the profile pic. Open the menu. You can access the menu by clicking the three dots. From the page’s options, choose “Lock Profile.” You can lock your profile by selecting the “Lock Your Profile” option on the home page. After you’ve locked your profile, you’ll see a popup message saying, “You’ve locked your profile.” Tap “OK” to finish.
Why is lock profile not available to me?
In which countries Facebook profile lock is available? – The Facebook profile lock is available in Egypt, Iraq, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Turkey. Only the users in those countries are able to lock their Facebook profiles. Hence, most users do not have the ability to lock their Facebook profiles yet.
What to do if profile lock is not available?
Only a portion of their About info will be visible to everyone on their profile. If locking your profile isn’t available to you, you can control your privacy in other ways through yourprivacy settings: Use Privacy Checkup. Choose who you share posts, photos and other information with.
Is profile lock available in Philippines?
How to lock Facebook profiles if you’re in the Philippines – According to Danielle, she simply changed her location to another country. “Apparently the Facebook Profile Lock feature isn’t available for Philippine users yet, so I had to pretend to be Burmese to try it,” she shared.
When she successfully locked her profile, she shared that it works as though it’s on freeze mode. Her non-friends are unable to click her profile completely! An article by Tech Pilipinas likewise revealed a more detailed workaround to try the feature from in the Philippines. According to writer Luis Reginaldo Medilo, the user must have the Facebook Lite app.
Once you’ve logged in, go to “Menu,” then “Settings.” From the options, click “Account Settings,” followed by “Translation for Posts.” From the languages shown, select the seventh to the last in the list, which is Burmese. Once Facebook Lite’s language changes, go back to “View your profile” in the main menu.
When you’re in your profile, click the three tiny dots on the right side of the page. From the next set of options that appear, choose the one with the shield sign next to it. Also read: Why You Should Try Social Media Detox While Travelling On the next page, click the blue button, which will finally have your profile locked.
Tech Pilipinas also shared how to revert the feature. To unlock your profile, tap the three dots again and pick “Unlock Profile.” From this point on, the option to activate the Facebook Profile Lock can be done using the regular Facebook app, and you don’t need to repeat the same steps above! Featured image credit: Solen Feyissa | Unsplash
Does Netflix have profile lock?
A lock icon appears on profiles that require a PIN. To restrict access to a specific profile on your account, you can protect it with a Profile Lock PIN. Profiles protected with a PIN will appear with a lock icon on the profile selection page and require a 4-digit PIN. Learn more about parental controls on Netflix or how to add or remove a profile PIN,