What Does It Mean When a Guy Scans Your Body? Learn what he’s thinking when he’s checking you out Did that cute guy across the room just catch your eye? But wait is he checking you out, or just staring at you? When a guy scans your body, you might be wondering what his intentions are.
Is he flirting, or is he just super interested in your outfit? That’s where we come in—we’ll tell you exactly why a guy might be looking you up and down, and how you can tell if he’s into you. We’ll also give you tips on how to respond to him if you’re interested (and how to reject him if you’re not).
This article is based on an interview with our licensed relationship therapist, Alysha Jeney, owner of Modern Love Counseling, and the co-founder of The Modern Love Box.
- Guys typically scan your body if they think you’re attractive or they’re trying to flirt with you.
- He might also be checking you out because he’s too shy to approach you.
- Watch for other flirtatious body language signals, like prolonged eye contact or leaning in toward you.
- You can encourage the guy to come and talk to you by smiling at him, or you can scowl and cross your arms to scare him off.
- 1 He’s attracted to you. This is the most common reason why a guy would look you up and down: he likes what he sees, and he wants you to know it. He might linger on areas of particular interest, but it all boils down to the same thing—he thinks you’re hot.
- You might see him make eye contact with you, and then “dip” his eyes down to scan the rest of your body. This is a clear sign that he’s interested in you and he wants to see more.
- 2 He’s flirting with you. Sometimes, flirting is subtle, and it doesn’t even have to happen face to face. If you catch a guy scanning your body from across the room, it might be his way of letting you know that he’s interested. Advertisement
- 3 He’s too shy to come and talk to you. Guys get shy sometimes, too! Maybe he thinks you’re really pretty, but he’s way too nervous to tell you that. Scanning your body is his way of taking in the view and (hopefully) working up the courage to approach you.
- When a guy is shy, he might not make a ton of eye contact with you. However, you’ll definitely notice him checking you out, even if it’s from afar.
- might be a little different than landing a super extroverted guy. Typically, they like it when you make the first move.
- 4 He’s trying to understand your body language. Have you been sending him flirty signals? Maybe he’s studying your body to try and get a hint as to whether you like him or not. If your arms are uncrossed, if you’re facing toward him, and if you’re making eye contact and smiling, you’re sending him cues that you’re into him.
- On the flip side, if your arms are crossed, you’re facing away from him, and you’re not glancing in his direction, he’ll probably take the hint that you don’t like him.
- 5 He thinks you look interesting. Are you wearing a new outfit today? Or, maybe you just dyed your hair a new color. If your look is eye-catching, he might just be taking in the view—whether or not he thinks you’re attractive is another matter entirely.
- Try to take stock of your own look today: are you wearing something colorful and eye-catching? If so, he might not be hitting on you, and he may just have an appreciation for your taste.
- 6 He recognizes you. Have you ever seen someone that you swore you knew, but you just couldn’t quite place them? This guy might be taking you in because he thinks he knows you from somewhere. If he ever figures it out, he’ll likely come strike up a conversation with you.
- You can usually figure this one out by the look on his face: if he looks puzzled or concerned, he’s probably thinking deeply and trying to figure out who you are.
- 7 He’s sizing you up. This one is for particular situations only, but it does happen occasionally. Maybe you and this guy are competing for the same job, or he thinks that you’re trying to steal his girlfriend. If he looks you up and down repeatedly, he may just be trying to assess whether or not you’re a threat.
- He might have a scowl on his face or keep his arms crossed to subtly “intimidate” you.
- 1 Prolonged eye contact When you glance over at him, does this guy hold your gaze for a little longer than usual? If you two chat, does he make sure to look deep into your eyes? Holding eye contact with someone is a surefire way to let them know you’re interested, so if he does this, he’s most likely attracted to you.
- 2 Light touches If this guy is flirting with you, he might pat you on the shoulder or gently touch you on the arm. Light, soft touches show that he wants to get closer to you, and he’s not afraid to break the touch barrier with you.
- 3 Leaning in toward you When someone is attracted to you, they typically sit or stand a little closer to you than normal people would. This is to show you that he’s into you, and he wants to be closer to you (both physically and emotionally).
- You might also notice that he turns his body toward you. This is because he wants to face you, and he’s open to talking with you more.
- 4 Mirroring your body language Mirroring or mimicking body language is a subconscious thing we do when we like someone. If you’re standing with your arms crossed, the guy who likes you might cross his arms, too. When you take a sip of your drink, he’ll probably take a sip, too.
- You might also see him subtly flex his muscles (to look stronger) or fix his hair (to appear more well-groomed).
- 1 Smile and make eye contact with him. If a guy is trying to work up the courage to come talk to you, give him a hint that you’re interested. When he catches your eye, hold eye contact and smile at him. That might be just the confidence-boost he needs to approach you and start chatting.
- Feeling bold? Try making eye contact and then scanning his body, too. This sends a clear message that you noticed what he’s doing (and you’re into it).
- 2 Approach him with a question. If he’s not going to, you can! Head on over and ask him a question to break the ice and start flirting. Try questions like:
- “Have we met yet? I’m Adriana, nice to meet you.”
- “Hey, I wanted to introduce myself. How do you know Danielle?”
- “Have you been here before?”
- 3 Give him a compliment. is a great way to start a conversation while letting him know you think he’s cute. If you’re feeling bold, head on over and tell him how much you like his hair or his outfit.
- “I love your sweater. The color really complements your skin tone.”
- “Your beard is so cool! How long did it take you to grow it out?”
- “I saw you from across the room, and I just had to say that your hair is stunning.”
- 1 Scowl and cross your arms. Closed-off body language sends the signal that no, you don’t want him to come and talk to you. If he’s good at reading body language, he’ll take the hint that he should stop checking you out.
- This works on some guys, but other guys won’t really care. If he does approach you and start chatting with you, use the steps below to get rid of him.
- 2 Tell him you’re not interested. Be polite and direct, but make it clear that you don’t want to talk. Tell him that you’re just here to have fun or to hang with your friends, not to flirt with people.
- “Sorry, I’m not interested. I’m just here with my girlfriends.”
- “You’re wasting your time with me. I’m not here to flirt with anyone.”
- You could even tell him that you’re feeling uncomfortable if he takes things too far.
- If a guy is hitting on you and won’t leave you alone, tell a friend or a friendly stranger and stay near them until you feel safe.
- 3 Let him know that you have a partner. Most guys will respect the fact that you’re already taken. Telling him that you aren’t single will get the message across fast.
- “I’m flattered, but I have a boyfriend.”
- “I’m actually here with my girlfriend.”
Ask a Question Advertisement Written by: Licensed Relationship Therapist This article was written by and by wikiHow staff writer,, Alysha Jeney is a Licensed Relationship Therapist, the Owner of Modern Love Counseling, and the Co-Founder of The Modern Love Box.
She specializes in relationship therapy, intimacy building, and existential exploration. Alysha holds a BA in Psychology from The Metropolitan State University of Denver and an MA in Marriage and Family Therapy/Counseling from Regis University. She has been featured in publications such as The Washington Post and The Huffington Post.
This article has been viewed 34,189 times.
- Co-authors: 4
- Updated: December 5, 2022
- Views: 34,189
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 34,189 times. : What Does It Mean When a Guy Scans Your Body?
- 1 How do you know if a guy is staring at you because of attraction or if they re testing to see if you like him?
- 2 Why would a guy keep looking at my chest?
- 3 How do guys sit when they like you?
- 4 How do you know if a guy is checking you out?
- 5 Why guys stare at me but never approach?
- 6 Why do guys stare when they like you?
- 7 Will a guy stare at you if he doesn’t like you?
- 8 Why does he look at me with wide eyes?
What does it mean when he checks on you?
7. He checks in – When you’re together, it is easy to think emotional attachment will be obvious. But, when you’re apart, it shows up even more so! This means he thinks about you when you’re not around. So, if he checks in with a text or phone call throughout the day to say hi or see how you’re doing, that’s one of the clear signs a man is emotionally attached to you.
What does it mean when a guy talks about your body?
1) He compliments you on your body – Let’s start with the most obvious one. If he is constantly complimenting your body or the way you look in particular, you can bet he is only interested in your body and not your personality or character. A man who truly appreciates you will compliment aspects of your mind, your personality, and other things that show he values you as a whole.
How do you know if a guy is staring at you because of attraction or if they re testing to see if you like him?
He’s Staring at You – Have you noticed he has been looking at you a lot more often these days? If you notice he is making more eye contact with you or you catch a guy staring at you, he is probably attracted to you, He may be enthralled by your good looks and may be fantasizing about kissing you, Perhaps he stares at you and smiles; that could mean he likes you, too. Related Articles
How to Respond to a Flirty Compliment in Any Situation 23 Simple Ways to Make a Girl Fall in Love With You 20 Internal Interview Questions With Impressive Answers
Cosmopolitan ‘s list of body language cues to watch for says he may not leave it to intense eye contact to communicate his feelings to you. Instead, when a guy stares at you, he may spend some time looking at your mouth and nose while you chat. Pay attention to how focused he is on your face versus looking over your shoulder or around the room.
He may be staring (and totally into you) but not talk to you if he’s nervous. Need to Know If you find yourself wondering, “why do guys stare at me and never smile?,” you’re really not alone; this strange quirk of male behavior can feel mystifying. It can mean a lot of things, but usually, he’s just super shy or lost in thought while his eyes rest on your face.
Try smiling at him to see if he smiles back.
Why would a guy keep looking at my chest?
His Eyes Will Dip – Watch his eye movements. Do they show eye dipping to “take you all in?” In true attraction, a male will make lots of eye contact, with the occasional dip. Eye dips are when the eye moves in a triangle shape—from one eye to the other, for the most part, but occasionally they will “dip” down below the neck area.
What does it mean when a guy looks at your hips?
If Someone Stares at THIS Body Part, They Want to Be Just Friends Does someone want to befriend you or date you? It can be hard to tell, but new research that a person’s eye movements could be the key to figuring it out. Researchers from Wellesley College and the University of Kansas recently in the Archives of Sexual Behavior looking at what people’s eye movements say about whether they want someone to be a friend or romantic partner.
They 105 heterosexual undergraduate students as subjects and tracked their eye movements while they looked at photos of men and women and answered questions about if they wanted to befriend or date each person. The study was a different look at what makes someone “attractive,” according to the study’s authors.
“Research on attraction tends to assume there is a fixed set of characteristics that makes a person desirable. This new study shows that what people look for in a prospective relationship partner depends on their relational goals,” coauthor Angela Bahns,
The same person who makes a highly desirable friend may not make a good mate.” Additionally, the study sought to look at what people focus on when their brains are rapidly assessing the types of relationships they want with others in front of them. What did researchers find? Heterosexual men and women at a person’s head or chest if they’re considering that person a potential romantic partner.
Men also tended to look at a woman’s chest and hip regions if they were showing romantic interest, which Bahns aligns with previous research that says this is due to men’s evolutionary focus on women’s ability to reproduce. There was a caveat, though.
“When men looked at faces for a long time, they were actually less interested in a person,” Bahns, One of the most interesting parts of the study, however, was how people’s eye movements change if they want a relationship that’s strictly platonic versus romantic or sexual. Researchers that both men and women looked at someone’s legs and feet if they were assessing if that person could be a potential friend.
While the study focused on heterosexual attraction, now hopefully you can pick up on a few cues the next time you’re unsure how someone feels about you. Related: Check this out: : If Someone Stares at THIS Body Part, They Want to Be Just Friends
What body language do guys find attractive?
Eye contact is one big indicator, as well as frequent smiles and laughter. An open posture and facial expression are also signals of attraction. Acting fidgety or nervous, or blushing and getting sweaty palms, is also a sign that someone is attracted to you.
How do guys sit when they like you?
Paying attention to a man’s body language clues can help you decipher whether he is interested. If a man likes you, he may sit facing you with his legs spread open. This indicates that he is open and receptive to you.
Why does he keep glancing at me?
11) He is trying to figure out what it would be like to kiss you. – Kissing is a very intimate and personal act. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience that can be both exhilarating and life-changing. So if a man is constantly glancing at you from across the room and keeps looking at you, he’s most likely trying to figure out what it would be like to kiss you.
If he keeps glancing at you from the distance, chances are he’s daydreaming about kissing you. He’s probably wondering how your lips would feel on his. So, you’re not going to know unless you tackle this task head-on. If he’s not budging, don’t you big girl undies and ask him straight out what his deal is.
Nothing to hide, nothing to argue about.
How do you know if a guy is checking you out?
As a general rule, if you want to know how you can tell if a guy is checking you out, there will be a three-second bridge of eye contact. You have seen each other from a distance, you have become aware that you are being looked at, and you are asserting or accepting that interest with an extension of eye contact.
What does it mean if a guy stares at you without smiling?
9. They’re in a Bad Mood – We all have those days when we couldn’t coax a smile on our faces if we tried. If a guy is staring without a smile, it could be that he’s simply in a bad mood or dealing with personal issues. His unwarm look your way might not have anything to do with you but is instead a reflection of his emotional state at that moment. Give him some space and try not to take his lack of a smile personally. If it’s bothering you, turn your back in his direction so you don’t have to witness him looking at you.
Is it obvious when someone is attracted to you?
How to Know if Someone is Attracted to You – Body language is an essential ingredient of attraction. When we talk about love, dating, and romance, body language plays a big role. You are not alone if you struggle with these basic attraction questions:
- Is she attracted to me?
- Does he like me?
- Why didn’t they call?
Body language will give you the tools to know where you stand. To understand modern-day nonverbal signals of attraction, it is helpful to look at the history of where our body language comes from. Our caveman ancestors used the same body language we use today. Here are the messages we are trying to send to potential mates with our body language and what is seen as attractive:
- I’m open
- I’m harmless
- I’m interested
- I’m approachable
- I’m fertile
You want your nonverbals to show two attractiveness signals:
- Availability: Both males and females find people with available body language the most attractive. Available body language is smiling, uncrossed arms, uncrossed legs, and upward gazing (not looking down at shoes or phones).
- Fertility: From an evolutionary perspective, humans are tuned into cues that signal fertility and youth. Luckily, these can be emphasized with body language. For men, standing up straight, squaring the shoulders, planting feet slightly more than shoulder width apart, and displaying hands are all signs of fertility. For a woman, keeping your hair down, tilting your head to expose pheromones, and keeping hands and wrists visible to display the soft skin of the wrists are highly attractive for others.
These also help us know when someone is attracted to us. Here are the typical signs someone is attracted to you:
- They lean in.
- They tilt their head as you speak (a sign of engagement).
- They smile at you.
- They make eye contact with you.
- They reach out and touch your arm, hand, back, or leg.
Men and women also have slightly different cues,
What are some signs a guy shows if he secretly likes you but knows you two can t be together?
How to Find Out if a Guy Secretly Likes You: 17 Subtle Signs
- Look for signs in his body language like eye contact and leaning in towards you while talking. He’ll also initiate more physical touch between you.
- Study his behavior, including the time between text responses and how jealous he seems when other guys are mentioned.
- Consider signs of his affection in conversations; he’ll likely ask lots of questions to get to know you better and give you heartfelt compliments.
- Prolonged eye contact is a sign that he’s into you. The next time you see him, catch his gaze and see if he stares back or looks away. Most people only make eye contact for about 4 to 5 seconds at a time while chatting. So, if he holds your haze longer than that, he might like you!
- Conversely, some people are uncomfortable with eye contact. If you know he’s shy, don’t be discouraged; there are other signs that he might like you.
- If you’re nervous, ask him a question so you have an excuse to make eye contact. You could say, “How far are you on last week’s assignment?” or “Do you know what the cafeteria is serving today?”
- It’s natural for people to smile when they see someone they like. So, if your guy likes you, it’ll be obvious that he’s super excited to see you. Watch his face when you walk into the room to see if he smiles. A big, joyful grin is a sign that he likes you, and he’ll probably smile and laugh his way through whole conversations with you.
- Look at how he smiles at other people, too. Does he act that way with everyone, or does he seem especially happy to see you?
- Guys with a crush spend a lot of time looking at the person they like. He might not even realize how obviously he’s admiring you! Try to catch him in the act by looking over at him suddenly. If you see him staring and he looks away quickly while blushing or smiling, it means he likes you.
- Only check once or twice each time you’re around him. If you glance at him often, he may think you’re staring at him.
- Alternatively, ask a friend you trust to check and see if he’s looking at you. They can steal a glance and report back to you.
A guy who’s into you will want to get close to you. A guy who’s into you will be interested in what you have to say. Therefore, he’ll lean in towards you whenever he’s talking to you. Take a look at his body language to see if he’s angled toward you. Then, shift further away from him and see if he tries to get closer. If he does, he’s probably crushing on you.
- Guys tend to mirror people they like unconsciously. Mirroring is when someone subtly copies you, adapting a similar tone of voice and making the same movements with their body. Is he mimicking your posture? After you make a small gesture, does he do the same thing seconds later? If so, he might like you!
- Try turning your head to look at a window or an object in the room. Does he do the same? A guy with a crush might also look where you look because he’s hyperaware of your movements.
- He’ll come up with reasons to touch you when he wants to be closer. Physical touch is a crucial way to show affection, and a guy with a crush will look for any excuse to do it! Notice if he touches your arm, bumps into you, or moves to stand next to you. Hugs are also a solid sign he likes you.
- He also won’t pull away when you enter his personal space. He’ll encourage small touches and even lean into them if he likes you!
- If a guy ever touches you in a way you don’t like, remember that you can always tell him to stop because it makes you uncomfortable. Get someone you trust to help if he won’t listen.
- He’s trying to make a good impression but getting nervous about it. Talking to a crush can be nerve-wracking! A normally smooth-talking guy might stumble over his words or mess up a sentence. If he has trouble stringing a sentence together with you but seems at ease around others, he’s likely crushing on you.
- For instance, he might suddenly give short or yes/no answers when he normally likes to talk. Similarly, he might stutter or forget what he wanted to say.
- Look for other nervous ticks, too. He might crack his knuckles, scratch his head, or fidget as a sign of nerves while talking to you.
- A guy who likes you won’t wait around to hear from you. As a result, he won’t hesitate to reach out and chat you up at every opportunity. Think about how often he initiates contact by walking up to you, making plans, or sending a quick text. If he does it at least as often as you (if not more), he might like you.
- For example, he might sit next to you in class and say, “How’s it going?” or “How did you do on the last test?”
- Alternatively, he may text you out of the blue on a Saturday night and say, “What are you up to?” or “You busy tomorrow? I thought we could do something!”
- He’ll go out of his way to get close because he likes you so much. When you’re hanging out together, he won’t leave until you do. He’ll always stick close to your side, whether you spend time together alone or in a group. He might even spontaneously show up places he knows you’ll be just so he can see you.
- For example, he might show up at your favorite cafe or arcade because he knows you like it there.
- If you’re both at a party, he’ll be there as long as you are—even if other friends leave first. He might even offer to walk or drive you home.
- He’ll also try getting to know your friends. Since he likes you, he wants your friends to like him too!
- When a guy is into you, he’ll want to learn about your life. Open-ended questions require more than a “yes” or “no” answer, allowing you to give an in-depth explanation. Take note if he asks you many personal questions about anything and everything, including your likes, dislikes, and background. It means he’s trying to get to know you better—down to the tiniest details.
- He might ask questions like, “What do you do in your free time?” “What are your favorite bands?” “Do you have any pets?” or “How many siblings do you have?”
- Ask him questions, too! If he’s showing interest, exchanging questions is a great way to learn more about one another and strengthen your bond.
- When a guy likes you, he’ll try to downplay the competition. Consider how often you hear him mention other people besides his close friends and family. If you’re a girl, he probably won’t talk about other girls often, and the same goes if you’re a guy. He wants you to know you’re the only one he’s interested in!
- In fact, your guy might even drop hints that he’s single. Comments about his relationship status like, “I’m still looking for the right person,” or “I’m still flying solo” signal his availability.
- He won’t be able to resist giving you compliments if he likes you. Observe how often he compliments you and what kinds of compliments he gives. Then, listen for compliments that he gives to other people. He’s likely crushing on you if he compliments you frequently compared to others and admires the smaller details that other people miss.
- For example, if you change your hairstyle, your guy will be the first to notice and say, “Wow, you’re looking amazing today!” Try !
- He might give other compliments about your looks, like, “Those glasses look cool!” or “I like that band t-shirt. Where’d you get it?”
- He’ll also compliment deeper things like intellect and talents. He might say, “You’re so smart! I don’t know anyone who reads as fast as you,” or “You’re definitely the best flute player in band, you know.”
- When a guy likes you, he’ll try to prove that you can rely on him. Telling someone outright that you like them can be scary, so instead, a guy might show you that he likes you by offering encouragement, showing interest in your passions, standing up for you, and giving help when you need it. He’s trying to say that he’s got your back no matter what because he likes you.
- For example, he might help you with your homework, offer to carry your stuff, or offer to fix your car.
- Similarly, he might give you advice when you’re unsure about something or offer a shoulder to cry on when you’re going through a hard time.
- He’ll give you his full attention because he finds you fascinating! A guy who likes you won’t play on his phone or get distracted while you talk; instead, he’ll want to hear everything you say. Be on the lookout for signs that he’s to you. If he never interrupts and makes encouraging sounds like “Mhm” and “Go on,” it means he’s totally focused on you.
- You’ll also notice that he remembers your answers. He might buy your favorite snack for you out of the blue or ask to borrow a book you mentioned liking to prove that he listens to you.
- Does he remember something you told him long after you forget mentioning it? It’s a big sign that he likes you when he does that.
- Asking your opinion means he respects you and wants to impress you. Notice how often he asks you for your input or advice to see if he likes you. He might ask you how he should style his hair or which shirt he should wear to a special event. Additionally, he might ask for advice on tackling homework or what movie to watch with friends.
- When a guy likes you, he’ll also show you that he took your advice. For example, he might show up the next day wearing whatever shirt you picked or rave about the excellent book you recommended.
- He’ll get jealous if he thinks there’s someone else you might like. Bring up a guy friend of yours, then see how he reacts. Does he ask a ton of questions about the other guy? If he likes you, he’ll probably be jealous when you mention someone else—and question you to learn more about the mystery guy and your friendship with him.
- He might ask, “Who’s Matt?” “How long have you known Matt?” “What does Matt do?” or “Do you and Matt hang out often?”
- If you’re interested in dating this guy, and tell him that your friend is just a friend, not someone you’re interested in dating. Otherwise, he might think you’re dating someone else.
- Texting fast is his way of showing you how much he likes talking to you. Therefore, he’ll respond as soon as possible if he’s crushing on you. Notice if your guy is always quick to reply and offers excuses when he goes quiet for a while. If he likes you, this could be a sign of his crush.
- For instance, he might respond to a text immediately (or within a few minutes). If his reply takes longer than 10 minutes, he might add, “Sorry for the delay. I’m working right now!”
- Remember that it’s normal to encounter a delay in responses during work and school hours.
- He’ll also send texts casually checking in and asking you how you’re doing; it’s his way of staying closely in touch with you.
- Question How do you tell if a man is attracted to you but hiding it? Dating Coach Candice Mostisser is a Dating Coach for NYC Wingwoman LLC, a date coaching service based in New York City. ‘NYC Wingwoman’ offers matchmaking, wingman/wingwoman services, 1-on-1 coaching, and intensive weekend bootcamps. She specializes in coaching others on best practices and strategies to succeed on first dates and in the online dating world. If a guy sits with his knees pointed towards you when you two are sitting at a table, that may be a subtle indicator he likes you. Also, if he generally seems excited and happy to talk to you, this is a good sign!
- Question Does he secretly have a crush on me? Dating Coach Candice Mostisser is a Dating Coach for NYC Wingwoman LLC, a date coaching service based in New York City. ‘NYC Wingwoman’ offers matchmaking, wingman/wingwoman services, 1-on-1 coaching, and intensive weekend bootcamps. She specializes in coaching others on best practices and strategies to succeed on first dates and in the online dating world.
- Question I’m thirteen, if I sit on my boyfriend’s lap, is that seen as being sexual? (We are both in the same school.) Some people may view it as sexual if you sit on his lap. While you don’t need to let other people’s opinions shape your behavior, it can also be hard to deal with people making rude comments to you. Think about what you really want before you make public displays of affection, then make choices that are right for you.
Ask a Question Advertisement This article was co-authored by and by wikiHow staff writer,, John Keegan is a Dating Coach and motivational speaker based in New York City. With over 10 years of professional experience, he runs The Awakened Lifestyle, where he uses his expertise in dating, attraction, and social dynamics to help people find love.
- Co-authors: 21
- Updated: April 24, 2023
- Views: 625,123
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 625,123 times.
“I read the article and this helped me alot. Whenever I’m in class, I would see that my crush would keep long eye contact and whenever I’m near him, he acts differently than he does with my friends (in a good way). Thank you for sharing the article. It helped a lot.”,”
: How to Find Out if a Guy Secretly Likes You: 17 Subtle Signs
Why guys stare at me but never approach?
Author’s Note – There are numerous explanations for why men might look at you but never smile. They might be reluctant to approach you, anxious, or unclear about how to do so. They can also be waiting to see if you show any interest in them before approaching you.
Consider your body language and behavior if you see that men are looking at you but never smiling. Are you grinning back and maintaining eye contact? Or do you look distant or avoid making eye contact? Keep in mind that for some people, looking without a smile might be unsettling or even scary. It’s crucial to follow your gut instincts and leave a situation if you feel uneasy or unsafe.
It’s crucial to keep in mind that everyone is unique, and there isn’t a universal explanation for why guys could look at you but never smile. You can move through these circumstances with assurance and ease by being mindful of your own behavior and body language and by having faith in your instincts.
Why do guys stare when they like you?
What Does It Mean When a Guy Stares at You? (11 Reasons)
- He might be admiring the design on your shirt or the color of your hair. Sometimes the reason behind a guy’s staring isn’t so deep—he just thinks you look super cool! Whether it’s the hilarious story you’re telling or the fact that you’re doing a fun activity and he wants to learn more about it, a guy will stare because he finds you intriguing. He’ll usually focus his eyes on the part of you doing (or wearing) something exciting.
- If he compliments you, say “thanks” and maintain a friendly, enthusiastic vibe. Don’t appear too excited though- this could scare him off. Being subtly grateful can pave the way to a fun interaction with him!
- As long as he’s just showing polite interest, you can also just go about your business or stop whatever it is you’re doing if you don’t want an audience.
- Guys might stare and wonder how they know a familiar face. It happens to all of us; if someone looks familiar, it’s tempting to keep looking back at them and think about where you know them from. If a guy is staring at you and seems a little confused, you might just look like someone else he knows.
- You don’t have to react to staring if you don’t want to. However, if you catch his eye while trying to study your features, he’ll likely snap out of it and look away.
- Establishing eye contact first can make it easier for him to approach. The objective is to show someone that you want to speak to them before the conversation begins, so he could be hoping that catching your eye will naturally lead to a chat or introduction. If he seems like he’s actively trying to catch your eye (rather than looking away when you see him), he likely wants to talk to you.
- Go ahead and say hi as long as you feel comfortable doing so. You could also wave at him and invite him over to say hello to you instead!
- Guys with a crush might wonder what you’re like—and if you like him. If he’s curious to know more about you, he’ll generally stare intently at you to indicate his interest. He may also approach and strike up a conversation, asking you thoughtful, open-ended personal questions to get to know you. A truly interested guy also asks follow-up questions to continue the chat.
- Answer his questions and ask a few of your own to, Be sure they’re meaningful questions that require more of an answer than “yes” or “no,” since that will help you get to know him easier.
- In conversation, a guy who’s fully engaged and listening likes you. After the guy starts chatting with you and asking thoughtful questions, he’ll also look at you intently as you talk to him, maintaining eye contact for 4 to 5 seconds at a time—and holding it for well over 70% of the time you spend talking. This is a sign that he’s paying complete attention to you and to you speak.
- Another vital sign of active listening is making little encouraging sounds like “Mm-hm” and “Woah!” and “Oh my goodness!” but never interrupting or asking another question until you’re done.
- Being an active listener is essential for any relationship. Listen to him, and show him that you’re just as interested in the things he has to say. He’ll quickly fall even harder for you!
- Men who are nervous or shy might want you to take the first step instead. Not every guy is perfectly confident; he could have low self-esteem or just be a naturally quiet person. In that case, he might stare at you as he tries to work out how he should come and talk to you—or stare in hopes of getting you to come to him. A nervous guy may also talk too fast, blurting out sentences he thinks are embarrassing.
- If he seems fidgety, quiet, or struggles to hold eye contact (all additional signs of nerves), take the initiative and go if you want to. and ask him a couple of questions to break the ice.
- He’ll struggle to look away when he thinks you’re gorgeous. Guys experiencing attraction often feel compelled to keep looking at you while in the same room. He could even be mentally preparing to approach you and introduce himself! If he’s attracted to you, he’ll also purposefully catch your eye and smile while maintaining eye contact with you.
- further by smiling back and meeting his gaze, making lots of eye contact. Give a welcoming nod to show you’ve noticed him.
- He might stare at you intensely if he’s dreaming about scoring a date. Guys can get distracted thinking about the possibility of you going out with him—he could even be thinking about different ways to ask you out or the best time to do it. As you talk to him, other body language cues can : he’ll lean in closer to you and initiate light, casual touches to your hand, elbow, or the small of your back.
- When he does ask you out, give him any answer you’re comfortable with. You could say, “I’d love that!” or,, “I appreciate the thought, but I’m not looking to date right now.”
- In committed relationships, guys in love often stare at their partners. If you’re already in a relationship with him, then long, loving gazes are a good sign—they mean he’s utterly smitten and can’t keep his eyes off you! He’ll also focus on you, be extremely attentive to your needs in comparison to the other people around you, and try to be physically close, even when you’re not touching.
- Show him that you feel the same way. Strong eye contact heightens desire and attraction and indicates mutual feelings.
- You could even give a happy smile or blow him a kiss if you’re feeling playful. Let him stand close to you and initiate an affectionate touch like holding his hand or putting an arm around him.
- Everyone zones out sometimes, which leads to accidental staring. If he gets lost in thought, he might forget where he’s looking—and end up unintentionally staring at you. He’s not trying to unnerve you; his gaze is just fixed at a random point, and you happen to be there.
- You’re always free to ignore the stare, but you can also catch his eye and give him a slight smile to test the waters and confirm whether he’s lost in thought.
- Most guys caught staring accidentally just redirect their gaze when they realize they’ve been spotted. Try and catch his eye, or otherwise, just ignore him.
- Unfortunately, aggressive guys use staring as a type of power play. If he’s looking at you intensely without smiling and even looks angry or stern, he could be trying to assert his dominance. In this case, his stare will feel like a challenge—in his mind, the weaker one won’t be able to keep eye contact. He might also try to make himself bigger and take up more room, even invading your personal space in a show of power.
- It doesn’t mean he’s attracted to you (although that can be the case). Either way, guys who assert themselves like that can have intimidating and even hostile energy.
- Remember that you’re not obligated to hang around. If nothing else, you can make a polite excuse and leave the room, or bring a friend with you if you know you’ll be around a guy who tends to intentionally intimidate others.
- Don’t be afraid to stare back! Especially if you think he’s trying to intimidate you.
Question How do you know if a boy has crush on you? Usually when boys have a crush on you, they tend to make it obvious. But if a boy bullies you, he may actually be teasing you because he likes you.
Ask a Question Advertisement This article was written by and by wikiHow staff writer,, Joshua Pompey is a Relationship Expert with over 10 years of helping people navigate the online dating world. Joshua has run his own relationship consulting business since 2009 at a success rate of over 99%.
- Co-authors: 6
- Updated: April 16, 2023
- Views: 223,832
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 223,832 times. : What Does It Mean When a Guy Stares at You? (11 Reasons)
How do you tell he loves you by his eyes?
Eye Body Language of Love: Knowing if You Have a Crush – As the saying goes, “The eyes are the window to the soul.” There is something very comforting about looking into the eyes of someone who loves you because the eyes are warm and welcoming. When determining whether someone likes you by looking at his/her eyes, you need to know what to look for.
Rapid blinking is a body language of eyes; attraction is what it may mean. If someone has a crush on you and has insecurities, you may notice a lack of eye contact from the person. Winking may mean someone is trying to let you know he/she is interested in you. Intense eye contact, especially with a smile, may mean the person has a crush on you. Pupil size increases means the person likes what he/she sees. Glistening eyes can signify strong attraction and perhaps even love.
20 Ways to Tell If a Guy Is Attracted to You How to Tell if Someone Is Attracted to You
Do guys like big hips or small hips?
Watching curvaceous women feels like drugs to men: study by Lin Edwards, Medical Xpress A wooden hourglass. Image: Wikipedia. (PhysOrg.com) – It has long been known that men find an “hourglass” figure the most attractive shape for the female body, and now scientists have found out why. Research across a variety of cultures has demonstrated that typically find the curvaceous female form sexually attractive.
- Other studies have shown that wide hips in women are associated with health and reproductive potential, so the attraction makes evolutionary sense.
- Scientists from Georgia Gwinnett College in Lawrenceville, Georgia, studied the responses of 14 men with an average age of 25 to nude photographs of women before and after undergoing cosmetic surgery that redistributed fat from their waists to the buttocks to give them more of an hourglass figure.
The operations did not reduce the weight of the women, but gave them an “optimal” Waist to Hip Ratio (WHR) of about 0.7. The fMRI brain scans of the male subjects showed the post-surgery pictures activated the same regions of the brain that are activated by rewards, alcohol and drugs.
Changes to women’s (BMI) did not affect the reward centers, but instead activated associated with the of shape and size. This suggests judgments of female attractiveness based on body fat are based on society expectations rather than being hard-wired in the brain. Steven Platek, an evolutionary cognitive neuroscientist, said the research may help explain why some men are addicted to pornography, and may also shed some light on other disorders “such as erectile dysfunction in the absence of pornography,” and add to our study of sexual infidelity.
It also helps explain phenomena such as sexual harassment and whistling at curvaceous girls in the street. Platek said the BMI results suggest the female form projected by the media, of skinny waif-like models, is not the most attractive to men, and curves are worth their reproductive weight in gold.
The research paper, by Platek and Devendra Singh, presents the first description of the effect of WHR on men’s brains. It was published online in PLoS One on February 5. © 2010 PhysOrg.com Citation : Watching curvaceous women feels like drugs to men: study (2010, February 25) retrieved 26 July 2023 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2010-02-curvaceous-women-drugs-men.html This document is subject to copyright.
Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. : Watching curvaceous women feels like drugs to men: study
Will a guy stare at you if he doesn’t like you?
4. When you catch a guy staring at you and he doesn’t look away, he isn’t afraid! – Does he continue looking at you even after he gets caught? Contrary to the shy ones, there are people who fall in love and are not afraid to look into the eyes of their special ones and admit the truth. Their eyes do most of the talking anyway. These men are worth the wait.
Admit it or not girls, we all wish for someone who wouldn’t be afraid to own up. When they do, we’re definitely not pondering, “When a guy stares at you what is he thinking?” When you catch a guy staring at you and he doesn’t look away, it means he is ready to show that he is interested and is here to stay.
It could also be a sign of flirting where he indicates his romantic interest in you. If he doesn’t look away while you look at him, hold his stare and see where it goes. Things are about to take a turn. Having someone stare at you even after being caught is sensual and allows your adrenaline to run as fast as it can.
Why does he look at me with wide eyes?
“We use a number of ‘see’ phrases all the time,” says Johanna Hunsaker, “and for good reason: ‘I see what you mean.’ ‘We see eye-to-eye on this.’ ‘I’ve got the picture.’ “Those are positive images, but there are a lot of negatives, too: ‘If looks could kill.’ ‘The icy stare.’ ‘Her eyes were shooting daggers.’ And the romantic: ‘She has bedroom eyes.’ ‘Making eyes at each other.’ ‘Drink to me with thine eyes.’ ” The eyes have it, as far as Hunsaker, associate professor of organizational behavior at the University of San Diego, is concerned.
- Verbal communication, she says, “only carries 7 percent of the total message in a conversation.” The balance of the message is communicated “nonverbally, involuntarily and subconsciously,” through body language and, Hunsaker suggests, most specifically through the eyes.
- When verbal and nonverbal messages are in conflict, people almost automatically give credence to what it is your body and eyes are saying, as opposed to what your words are.
The words are not as important. If someone asks you, for example, “Do you understand what IRAs are?,” whatever your verbal response, if you do know what they are and you recall what the mental image is, Hunsaker says your eyes will move up and to the left.
- If you don’t know what IRAs are, but don’t want to admit it, you’ll likely look straight ahead.
- If you are very familiar with IRAs,” says Hunsaker, “like, ‘Of course I know what they are,’ your eyes will move down and to the right.” Your eyes can reveal lies, too, says Hunsaker.
- If someone says, ‘Weren’t you supposed to walk the dog?,’ and you didn’t, your eyes will indicate you feel guilty.
Even though you might deny it, your eyes will move in an effort not to see the image mentally. You’ll try to hide the fact of it from yourself, and so your eye language won’t change and you’ll try not to have eye contact with the other person.” While body language per se can be controlled to a certain extent, says Hunsaker, “your eyes move involuntarily in response to stimuli – questions and statements – others make and are the result of brain processes you can’t control.” Eye movement, she says, can reveal different emotions you can’t control.
If you’re fearful or anxious, your eyes will be tense and open. If you meet someone in an interesting situation and you’re attracted to them, your eyes become alert, they widen.” The person sending the nonverbal message is doing so unconsciously, and the person being spoken to is taking in and processing the unspoken message unconsciously.
Consciously or unconsciously, insists Hunsaker, you can be sure those messages are being sent and received. “If knowledge is power,” says Hunsaker, who has been studying human behavior for the past 15 years, “watching eye and body language specifically can give you more power, help you assess where people really are coming from and give you a true picture of their beliefs and attitudes.
You’ll know where you stand.” Among the facial and eye movements catalogued by Hunsaker, and their probable meanings: “Eye contact – a positive function indicating the desire to communicate. Prolonged eye contact, however, can be an indication of coldness, rudeness, anger and dislike. “When you don’t have eye contact,” says Hunsaker, “it indicates disinterest or a desire to terminate contact, as in a conversation when you look away.” “Avoidance of eye contact – indicative of suspicion, lying, distrust, doubt or fear of social contact.
“Breaking eye contact – most often means that the person either is bored or is trying to concentrate on something without being distracted. It often is accompanied by very slow blinking, what might be described as “staring off into space.” “Rapid blinking – as much as 100 times a minute (the normal blinking rate is 6 to 10 times a minute) indicates that the person is very anxious.
- Says Hunsaker, “Sometimes the person is attempting to cut off reality by cutting off their vision.” “Eyes wide and alert – may serve as a conversational punctuator or indicate surprise, fear, wonder or, more likely, enthusiasm and genuine interest.
- Eye direction – offers a clear indicator of mood.
- Downward-cast eyes may be a sign of modesty or sadness; upward movement of the eyes may mean fatigue or be a reaction to unexpected, unusual behavior of another; frequent focusing to the left signals that a person’s thought processes are based on emotion and subjectivity; frequent focusing to the right is a sign that one’s thoughts are based on logic and facts.
“Raised and tense lower eyelids – may signal either anger or sadness. The “look” often is one of cold-hearted staring. “Pupil dilation – probably “the most subtle of the eye movements,” says Hunsaker, “and almost never is consciously used.” It indicates either emotional or physiological arousal or attentiveness.
When a guy checks up on me?
3. He Checks Up on You – If your guy hasn’t heard from you in a while, he should text or call you just to check in on you to see how you’re doing. He may start to get a little worried that something is wrong or that you’re losing interest. Don’t ignore him too much or he may start to think that something is really wrong and decide that you’re the one who is not that serious about the relationship.
Why do guys check out every girl?
I’ve observed plenty of couples walking down the street and then in front of them is an attractive woman. I can’t help but to stop and see what happens next. – Normally, the woman in the relationship has noticed the woman walking towards her before the man has.
- She angles her partner on the side of the pavement that makes it easy for her to keep an eye on him and harder for him to get away with discreetly looking at the approaching hottie.
- The gap closes, 20 metres, 10 metres and then he notices the lady, by this point his girlfriend is looking at him very studiously and he’s unaware as he locks his gaze onto the approaching woman.
As she walks past him, he cocks his head to follow her path and meets his girlfriends furious eyes along the way. He knows that he’s being caught, she knows what he’s been doing. Sometimes no words are exchanged, other times, she gives him a disapproving look, he says, ‘what?’ in mock innocence and by this point I’ve lost the conversation as they’ve walked away from my prying eyes.
- But the simple reason that men do check out other women is appreciation of beauty.
- Some women confront it there and then and others for fear of coming across as possessive or crazy, say nothing but bring it up later on.
- Majority of women will notice it and it drives them crazy.
- I’ve been on the receiving end of plenty of phone calls asking me what I think they should do as they’ve caught their other half checking out another woman.
Other phone calls ask me why men do it. Is it because the man thinks that the other woman is more attractive? Is he aware that he is embarrassing me when he does it? If he can do that in front of me what does he get up to when I’m not there? Everybody notices somebody attractive, whilst some make it very obvious that they have noticed this person, some are a bit more subtle about it.
Men have always been more vocal about expressing their admiration than women have. One of my friends told me that if she ever wanted an ego boost all she had to do was slowly walk past a building site as the shouts and wolf whistles would make her feel like somebody found her attractive. At this point I’d like to point out that I do know some women who will cross the road to avoid a building site as the comments and glares make them feel uncomfortable.
When I got the guys round the table they all agreed that they did check out other women, however they all said that it was because they noticed someone attractive who caught their eye and they weren’t planning to run away with that person whist abandoning their partner.
- Some said that they couldn’t help but to look at the woman regardless of whether or not their girlfriends/wives were near them whilst others said that they were subtle about it for fear of getting an ear bashing.
- I know a guy who checks out women so openly that his wife has now imposed a rule in their relationship which is that if she sees him looking at another woman he has to tell her exactly what it is about that women he likes.
I can’t imagine that that’s very comfortable but each to their own. As she walks past him, he cocks his head to follow her path and meets his girlfriends furious eyes along the way. He knows that he’s being caught, she knows what he’s been doing. Seeing as most of the guys were in universal agreement on the fact that they do check out other women I reversed the scenario and asked them how they’d feel if they saw they’re ladies checking out other men.
- They all did agree that women also do look but are far more subtle, they also agreed that they’d be very uncomfortable if they caught their other half checking out another man as they’d be embarrassed, especially if other people saw her doing it.
- Worse, they’d be livid if the man noticed and smiled at her or looked the men in the eye in a manner that said, ‘see your woman checking me out?’ Every guy has their reasons for checking out women, some of which I dare not print on these pages judging by the conversations I have.
Does it mean that they’re not loyal? Not at all. There are, of course some guys who are like dogs on heat and you can’t keep a leash on them for very long. But the simple reason that men do check out other women is appreciation of beauty. The way it’s done is what can lead to arguments particularly if it causes the woman some embarrassment.
Is checking in on someone good?
Why Should You Check In? – There are huge benefits to checking in with others!
Checking in at the right time can really help people to overcome challenges.Check ins allow you to connect with others and can strengthen relationships over time. Checking in can help you to open up and become more articulate about your life.Insight into each other’s successes and failures can be a powerful opportunity to learn and grow, individually or together.